The Government are spending over £450 million on improving physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools over the 3 academic years 2013 to 2014 , 2014 to 2015 and 2015 to 2016. This extra funding has been allocated directly to all primary schools.
Schools can choose how they use the funding, for example to :
- hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers during PE lessons
- support and involve the least active children by running after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs, e.g.the Change4Life clubs
- provide resources and training courses in PE and sports for teachers
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools